The SYP aims to be a fair, diverse and inclusive society, welcoming members and non-members from all backgrounds and having the diversity of our industry and membership reflected in our committee.
The SYP has a UK and Ireland wide Inclusivity Committee, headed up by the UK Inclusivity Coordinator. This committee is responsible for ensuring the society is working productively towards our inclusivity aims and that the needs of all our members are met, not just in London but further afield.
The SYP pledges to promote inclusion and diversity through the following areas:
- We undertake a regular Inclusivity Survey with the aim to fully understand what we can do better as a society in regards to making the society, its events, workshops and materials accessible for all members.
- We aim to recruit a diverse committee across all branches, and to be transparent about our committee members we will hold regular Q&As on social media and our blog.
- We aim to keep our membership costs as affordable as possible, with cheaper rates for students and digital members. Our treasurer standardises spending across our branches to ensure members are getting the best possible value in all aspects of their membership.
- We want our events to be affordable and accessible to everyone, regardless of their financial background. SYP event ticket prices are standardised at a low cost across the UK and Ireland.
- We want members and non-members to feel welcome at our events, and aim to have a welcome committee at large events, conferences and socials.
- We host our events in accessible and inclusive venues wherever possible.
- We aim to feature a diverse range of voices on our panels.
- We sponsor a number of tickets to our bi-annual conferences each year.
- We support the Book Job Transparency campaign, and ask all employers to provide a salary range for jobs they would like to promote on our Jobs Board.
- We only promote jobs which advertise a salary range on our social media channels.
- We will not advertise unpaid work experience or internships lasting more than two weeks.
- The SYP hosts digital events on our website Forum, regular blog content and live tweeting of our events and Q&As, in order to engage those unable to travel to events in person.
- We aim to feature a diverse range of voices on our blog and in our quarterly magazine, InPrint.