The SYP Mentoring Scheme 2010
Posted on April 7, 2010 in News & Reviews
The SYP is pleased to announce an exciting new six-month Mentoring Scheme that will begin in May 2010 and run for the next six months. The scheme is aimed at those SYP members who would benefit from having a ready source of industry advice and support in the early stages of their publishing career. Do you have a goal or objective which could be realised through productive support, discussion, encouragement or impartial advice from an experienced industry professional? If so we want to hear from you!
Applications are encouraged across a range of publishing areas in both academic and trade publishing, including within Sales, Marketing, Publicity and Production.
The mentoring scheme is inspired by Gordon Graham, founding editor of the publishing journal LOGOS and former CEO of Butterworths. Through this scheme, we wish to recognise Mr Graham’s outstanding contribution to international publishing fellowship.
What is mentoring?
Mentoring is about one person helping another to achieve an important goal. It is a two way process which aims to be both objective and confidential in providing personal career advice.
What will the scheme provide?
– Access to a ready and impartial source of advice, encouragement and support.
– Mentors are ideally placed to provide a wide understanding of publishing issues and challenges.
– Advice on how to adapt quickly and to find an individual approach within the industry.
– A focus on skills and problem solving.
About the scheme
– Limited initially to 20 places, mentors will be drawn from a wide sector background in both trade and academic publishing.
– The scheme will run for 6 months, until December 2010.
– Mentor and mentee will meet 3 times for a minimum of 2 hours each. This is subject to negotiation at the discretion of the mentor.
– The scheme will be confidential and career-focussed. Both parties must understand and agree to the scheme guidelines which will be supplied to successful applicants.
How to apply
Access the form entry here. The closing date for applications is 24th May. Successful applicants will be notified shortly thereafter. Any queries can be directed to Jason Mitchell, Mentoring Scheme Co-ordinator, at SYPMentoring@gmail.com