Welcome to the application page to volunteer for a position on the SYP South West Committee.
Applications are now closed. Volunteer roles for 2023 will be open for applications in late November/early December 2022.
Positions on the South West committee are open to applicants based in the South West. If you wish to apply to be a member of one of the other committees (UK, Ireland, London, North, Oxford, Scotland) or to find out what roles they have available, return to the main Volunteer with the SYP page.
Please note that while these positions are voluntary, it does require a commitment for the year in order to keep the society running successfully. Each position will also involve participating in committee meetings, as well as contributing to possible events or online ventures.
For more information on the positions available, please see the role descriptions below.
South West Treasurer
This role demands attention to detail and organisation in managing the bank account for the South West SYP committee. You will need to ensure our suppliers and expenses are paid in a timely fashion, and monitor the region’s spending and report back to the UK Treasurer. As a member of the inaugural South West SYP committee, the person in this role will also play a key part in decisions regarding the branch’s development.
South West Inclusivity Officer
- Identifying key opportunities within the SYP South West’s branch activities for better diversity and inclusion and develop strategy as appropriate
- Liaising with Communications Officer, Social Media Officer and Events to provide suggestions for how to make our outreach more inclusive
- Tracking and reporting progress to the rest of the committee
- Provide updates at monthly meeting on diversity and inclusion matters in the industry
South West Events Officer (likely to be multiple positions)
There will likely be multiple Events Officers on the South West committee, though the number is yet to be determined. Those in this role will be responsible for the following responsibities:
- Scouting out suitable event spaces across the region
- Approaching publishing professionals to speak at events
- Fostering good relationships with potential speakers and local venue managers, and maintaining and building on the existing database of contacts
- Providing creative contribution to the organisation and planning of events
- Working with the Social Media Officers of the region to arrange publicity via social media around upcoming events
South West Digital Content Officer
The Digital Content Officer is responsible for creating online content for the committee – with a particular focus on career resources for entry-level and mid-career professionals.
- Developing a Resource Centre for SYP members
- Liaising with the regional committees to manage the uploading of online content to the SYP marketing channels
- Creating content offering publishing insights or career adviceSourcing articles from external partners and companies
Skills required to succeed in this role include an understanding of, or willingness to learn, WordPress, as well as excellent writing and diary management skills.
South West Communication Officer
- Maintaining SYP South West’s social media channels by promoting SYP South West’s social and speaker events and sharing/re-posting topical stories and articles
- Maintaining the website by ensuring that all of SYP South West’s forthcoming social and speaker events are listed in a timely manner
- Formulating marketing plans for SYP events and other initiatives
- Designing and producing marketing materials (e.g. flyers) for events
- Co-ordinating the monthly SYP South West newsletter
- Keeping track of an annual budget, reporting any expenses to the Co-Chairs and Treasurer
- Providing feedback at monthly meetings and contributing to brainstorming
South West Social Media Officer (likely to be multiple positions)
The South West Social Media Officer responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining SYP South West’s social media channels
- Promoting SYP South West’s social and speaker events and sharing/re-posting topical stories and articles
- Assisting the UK committee’s Website Officer, where necessary, with maintaining the SYP website
- Providing feedback at monthly meetings and contributing to event brainstorming
- Live-tweeting events will also be required where necessary
South West Student Liaison Officer (likely to be multiple positions)
Responsibilities may include:
- Running the workshops: approaching workshop speakers, liaising with the Social Media Officers and Events Officers on promotions, etc.
- Promoting the SYP and our events to the Universities through print and online materials
- Advising the committee on the major assignment deadlines and other events that could affect student attendance at events and committee meetings
- Providing feedback at monthly meetings and contribute to event brainstorming
If you have any questions about the SYP volunteer application process, please refer to the FAQs page or, if your question isn’t answered there, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Like many organisations, the SYP is working hard to be an inclusive and diverse entity. We understand that the world we live in is a diverse place and the publishing industry needs to reflect that. We welcome applications from those of any background, and particularly encourage candidates from BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, disabled, neurodivergent and lower socio-economic backgrounds/experiences.