APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED FOR 2017
[2018 applications not yet open]
Want to be part of the London committee for 2017?
The London Chair will be responsible for the management of the London committee. This will include holding monthly London committee meetings, ensuring all roles in the London branch run successfully to maintain and grow the society. Reporting into the UK Chair, they will be required to provide regular updates and represent the London branch at events. *The London Chair applicant must have been previously part of the committee for a minimum one year.*
Secretary/ Vice Chair/ Co-Chair
Take minutes at committee meetings and be the communications face of the London branch for any questions - will work closely with the UK membership officer in this aspect. To work with and support the Chair with management of the London committee, including holding meetings in the Chair's absence, as well as supporting the Chair & Partnerships role in building partnerships with other organisations and liaising with people in the industry.
A role that demands attention to detail and organisation providing the management of the SYP London bank account. You will need to process conference & event fees and committee expenses. It will be important to keep a record of the incomings and outgoings of money to ensure that the branch stays within its budget. It is preferred that the applicant has been previously on the committee for at least a year
London Marketing & PR Team (x2)
This role will be essential in spreading the SYP message in the publishing industry. Responsibilities include:
- informing all potential members about the SYP and to inform those who are aware of the SYP but not members about membership benefits and how to join.
- Produce marketing materials in good time for SYP events and initiatives most prominently the mentor scheme; KSW prize announcement; LBF seminars; August Pub Quiz and conference.
- Work closely with the Designer & Social Media Officer to make sure these materials reach all of our members via our social channels & monthly newsletter.
- Co-ordinate the monthly email newsletter with the Social Media and Events positions. This will involve liaising with the other SYP branches to include all event details and updated news to go out to our members.
- Oversight of marketing materials and information pages on the website.
- Sending out press releases to industry publications such as The Bookseller with news and events for the London branch.
Partnerships & Special Projects
New position. Working closely with the Chair, Head of Events and the Marketing & PR team to achieve the below objectives:
- Regularly keep in touch with existing partners to maintain good relationships with them, keeping them updated on SYP events and activities and exploring options for doing combined events/offers
- Researching and approaching organisations who we currently don't have a relationship with to spread the word about the SYP and establish new partnerships
- Enhancing our membership benefits, including to start discounts on a partner's products or services, earlybird ticket access to events of partner organisations, exclusive co-hosted events.
Social Media Coordinator
The social media coordinator is responsible for all the SYP London/UK social channels including Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin. This involves regular posting about news and events, any SYP updates and interacting with members and non-members. Live-tweeting events will also be required where necessary.
The designer will be required to work with the London marketing and events teams to create marketing material such as flyers, social banners and newsletter images to help publicise the SYP activity. A knowledge of photography would also be useful to take photos at our events for the website, but not essential.
London Head of Events
The Head of Events is in charge of leading the team of Event Coordinators in the planning of events. Your role would include:
- ensuring that events for the year are planned well in advance,
- building on the database of contacts for event speakers
- arranging meetings with the events team and other committee members to discuss upcoming events,
- budgeting, setting up the ticket website and updating the SYP website with event details as well as monitoring the SYP events inbox.
- outline event updates in each committee meeting and to email reminders to the committee of any events that are due to come in the near future
You would be working closely with other heads of departments - such as Marketing, Treasurer, Chair and Vice Chair - with managing the day-to-day delegation and running of the events team.
As a member of the events team, you'd be expected to assist the Head of Events and the rest of the events team in the following capacity:
- scouting out suitable event spaces across central London,
- approaching publishing professionals to speak at our events,
- building on the database of contacts for event speaker,
- providing creative contribution to the organisation and planning of events,
- developing relationships with and requesting gratis copies from various publishers,
- working with the social media coordinator to arrange publicity via social media around upcoming SYP events.
The events team is usually made up of 4 members.
London Book Club Officer
We are looking for someone to run the London book club on a the third Monday of every month. Responsibilities will include organising the venue each month - usually a London pub - and selecting book options for the book club to vote on for the next meet. The role will also have responsibility of the book club email inbox to liaise with interested members and to email the details of each book club ahead of the meeting.
We would like a couple of student liaisons who would be responsible for spreading the word about the SYP to university students and careers services to help bring new members to join the society and attend events. Ideally this role would be a university student themselves.
If any of these roles are of interest to you, fill in the below form with a few words on why you would like to be in that role.